Friday, January 20, 2012

Stubby

Just a little thought for the weekend.  As you can see from the title above this blog is about Stubby.  Stubby is the nickname I have given to a squirrel I often see as I walk across campus.  Stubby, unlike most squirrels, has a tail which is only about 2 inches long.  A very un-squirrel like tail.  I wonder if Stubby knows if her tail is unusual?  I use the female pronoun here because we are at Mary Baldwin College, home of the fighting squirrels.  Stubby seems fine.  I have seen her eating nuts, running up trees and dashing across telephone wires.  Stubby seems to get along well with other squirrels.

I don't think the other squirrels notice that Stubby's tail is not in keeping with normal squirrel standards.  There are no laws protecting Stubby.  No sympathy or special treatment.  Stubby is going to make it on her own.  I think we should take a lesson from Stubby.  Many of us know what we must do to get better grades, improve our athletic ability, or just be a better person, but we want it without work.  We make excuses, we have reasons we can't do certain things or excel in certain ways.  We want teachers, coaches, or parents to help us, push us and dare I say "baby" us.

Take a lesson from Stubby.  Don't expect life to be easy.  Don't expect people to do things for you.  I don't know if Stubby was born with a stunted tail or lost it in an accident.  Stubby probably does not know or care either.  Neither do the other squirrels.  If a cat or a hawk see Stubby as a meal, there will be no remorse on their part if Stubby becomes lunch.  Stubby has made it.  No excuses, no special treatment.  Just pure determination to overcome a problem and live life.  Can you say the same?

March on squirrels.  Long live Stubby; thanks for the motivation!!

No comments:

Post a Comment