Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Intensity is the Answer

I know I gave the answer before the question.  That always drives me a little crazy.  When I see the bumper sticker, "War is not the answer" I wonder, what's the question?  How do you stop a crazy, homicidal maniac like, say Hitler?  Maybe war is the answer.  Just my thoughts.

The question to the answer in the title is: "Why is my exercise program not working?"  Too many of you perform the same routine time after time.  You don't vary your run time or vary your weight routine.  You have a comfort zone that works for you, and you like it.  So, when you ask the question, my answer is, Intensity.  Run faster, lift heavier, do your workout at a faster pace; these are all ways to increase the intensity.

A recent article in USA Today by Nanci Hellmich titled "Calories burn long after intense workout" shows the science behind the intensity answer.  The article states, "People who exercise vigorously get a bonus for their hard work: They continue to burn extra calories long after they're finished working out."  The old science told people if you are not making progress walk more, run more, or cycle more.  There was little talk of increasing the intensity.  Recent science indicates more distance and more time are not always the answer. 

Increased intensity will give you the edge you need.  The problem with increasing intensity is that it requires you to move outside your comfort zone.  The positive is that you don't have to workout for a long time. 

A 30 minute workout at a higher intensity will boast your workout.  For a college student, who is strapped for time, this is great.  You work harder for a shorter amount of time and get better results.  As I have stated in previous blogs, don't be afraid to sweat.  How do you increase intensity?  Do your usual weight routine but with short breaks.  Run at a faster pace for a shorter amount of time.  Combine your cardio workout with your weight routine.  If you have questions for me stop by room 107 in the PAC.  I'll be happy to give you some tips on increasing your intensity.

By the way, did you know a squirrel can jump a distance of up to 20 feet.  They have strong hind legs which gives them the power to drive their body over that distance.  I wonder if that is considered a high intensity workout?  Jump on Squirrels!!

No comments:

Post a Comment